When it comes to airsoft pistols, there are a lot of options available. The great thing about choosing the one that is right for you is these handgun options are available at a very low to mid range price point. If you can find more expensive airsoft pistols, they will be worth your money if you have the cash to spend on them. One of the most important factors when buying an airsoft pistol is the rate of fire and high feet per second, or FPS, rating.
Do not buy a brand new model with a low FPS rating if one of the features you really want is increased distance when shooting BBs in semi-automatic or automatic firing modes. If the rate of fire is too slow, you may be able to upgrade later higher end pistols by changing out a few parts and increasing how fast the pistol can shoot BBs. Airsoft guns, including pistols, are usually modular and many airsoft companies build their weapons to accept aftermarket upgrades along with sights and rails so shooters can add attachments like a red dot sight. Keeping that in mind, let’s take a look at our top recommendations for the best airsoft pistols.
Highspeedbbs editors select and review airsoft products independently. We may earn affiliate commissions from buying links, which help support our testing. Support us.
Why are Pistols Important to Carry on the Airsoft Field?
When you are looking for the best airsoft pistol, there are a few features to look for. For starters, make sure that the pistol is full metal and doesn't use plastic or cheap metal parts in any place externally or internally. This is a big deal because plastic can break easily and cheap metal parts will wear out quickly. If it's not full metal then it might be worth investing in another pistol because you won't have much long-term value.
Another feature to look for when buying an airsoft pistol is the accuracy of the model. If your goal is shooting at targets with 6mm BBs or paintballs at close range, then you don't need pinpoint accuracy, but if your goal is defending against players at mid rangers over 40 feet, then pinpoint accuracy will be more important. One more feature to keep in mind is the rifling on the barrel or bore of the airsoft gun. Some pistols come with smooth bores while others can have contoured barrels. You mostly want to ensure that this is always smooth and without grooves because that would limit how well you could shoot a BB accurately and cause less jams.. Check out our list of recommended pistols below!
Features to Look for in an Airsoft Pistol
Pistols are an essential part of airsoft gameplay, especially if you are looking to cause some serious fun. They can be used as a defensive weapon at close ranges against opponents, or they can be used offensively to eliminate targets by shooting them in the chest or head and taking them out of the game. Some pistols come with suppressors, but those will usually make the pistol heavier and harder to use for long periods of time. Make sure a suppressor does not also obstruct the sights since the shooter will not be able to see where their shots are going.
The best pistols for airsoft are ones that have a high rate of fire which is important for accuracy and clearing out rooms before moving into them in CQB. Chronograph the FPS ratings to see if it shoots at a low or high FPS rating. This can impact where the gun can be used depending on a field’s FPS limits. Having FPS over allowed limits means the pistol will not be shooting too “hot” making the weapon unusable during games. The important thing to remember and look for in a pistol is a balance of accuracy and rate of fire. Some low FPS rated pistols on the cheaper end of the spectrum are also not upgradable. If you want to add additional velocity later on down the line, you’re going to need to spend more money to buy a different pistol or you could just buy another model with higher FPS ratings from the start.
The Types of Airsoft Pistols
There are five different types of airsoft pistols. One type is the green gas blowback design which uses an open bolt, where the bolt is released with a spring when the trigger is pulled. Another airsoft pistol is a gas operated design non blowback design, where gas pressure pushes the piston back and forces it to move the slide back and forth. The final three are electric, CO2 powered, and spring designs which use electric motors (can be the most expensive), compressed gas canisters (can be cheaper), and spring pistols (very cheap).
- Green gas blowback powered
- Green gas non blowback powered
- CO2 cartridge powered
- Electric powered
- Spring powered
These five types of airsoft pistols vary in price, accuracy, rate of fire, and overall quality. If you're just wanting to have fun playing airsoft without having to worry about accuracy or upgrading your pistol then you're probably going to want something on the lower end of our list. However if you're someone who wants that professional look from their airsoft pistol then maybe one of our higher end recommendations will be ideal for your needs.
About Gas Powered Airsoft Pistols
Gas powered airsoft pistols are one of the best options because they shoot more accurately than spring-powered airsoft pistols. They are also easier to upgrade in case you want to later on, and have high rates of fire at speeds up 300 or 400 FPS. Most of them have a similar appearance to real firearms so it's possible that they could be mistaken for the real thing if you're not careful. They are also one of the most durable types of airsoft guns available. In fact, many people find them to be more durable than other types because they don't break as easily as spring-powered airsoft pistols or electric airsoft pistols. One downside is that gas-powered airsoft pistols usually cost more than spring-powered ones, but there are some cheaper models out there for those who don't have a lot of money. A lot of people consider HFC134a green gas to be the best gas for gas powered airsoft pistols because it shoots the farthest distance when compared to other gasses so it's easy to hit your target without worrying about overshooting it or your shots being carried off target by the wind.
The Best Gas Airsoft Pistols
- ⭐️This is not a listing for an individual Airsoft part. No parts are designed for real weapons.
- ⭐️MATERIAL: Full Metal Slide, Outer Barrel, Upper Receiver / Polymer Grip. Lightweight CNC aluminum ported slide with an injection molded polymer frame that provides rugged reliability without sacrificing weight
- ⭐️FPS: 300 - 330 FPS (w/ 0.20g BBs) Realistic blowback action with a smooth sliding slide that doesn't stick
- ⭐️ROUNDS: 28 Rounds (Compatible with Tokyo Marui, WE-Tech, and other similar Hi-Capa 5.1) Flare Airsoft magazine magwell that makes reloading quicker and easier
- ⭐️GRIP: Aggressive textured grip that provides a great grip when handling even while wearing gloves
- ⭐️SAFETY: Ambidextrous safety lever with a functional grip safety beaver tail that is similar to most Hi-Capas
- ⭐️RAIL: Integrated lower picatinny rail that allows for attaching lights, lasers, and other tactical accessories
- Realistic gas blowback kick Metal slide, frame and outer barrel with bronze finish
- Ported slide for a modern, aggressive look Front and rear slide serrations for easy racking
- Fiber optic front sight gets on target faster Stippled pistol grip provides the shooter with a non-slip surface
- Ambidextrous safety makes it optimal for conventional and southpaw shooters Flared magazine well aids in rapid magazine reloads
- Available in green gas and CO2 version Compatible with TM, WE, and KJW Green Gas Magazines
- Compatible with WE and KJW CO2 Magazines KLI Magazine will not function correctly with Crossman CO2 cartridge
- Tokyo Marui compatible with the exception of the blowback housing and hop-up unit NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT WITH CROSMAN CO2 CARTRIDGE!
- Lightweight and rugged injection molded polymer frame with durable aluminum alloy slide; Fully licensed by GLOCK with complete rollmarks on the slide and logos molded to the frame
- Features the same ergonomics, function, and handling as the original; Powered by economical airsoft green gas (green gas NOT included)
- Features realistic blowback action, traditional GLOCK sights, and a GLOCK Gen4 style frame with finger grooves removed
- Shoots 6mm plastic airsoft BBs at up to 300 fps
- Great for use in airsoft play, target shooting, and as a training tool
Last update on May 29, 2023 // Source: Amazon API
About Electric Powered Airsoft Pistols
Electric powered airsoft pistols are among the most popular airsoft guns due to their lightweight actions and easy use functionality. They are also about the same price as high end gas powered airsoft pistols. Electric powered airsoft pistols typically don't have any recoil like a gas powered pistol. Models like the Evike H&K USP and CYMA AEP offer electric power, capacity, and range which make them great choices for those who love to play airsoft with extended magazines and firing capacity. They also have shorter reset rates which means you can get back into battery and into the action faster than with gas powered models.
This can also be good for people who want a full auto model but need a lot of control over how fast it cycles from one shot to the next. Electric powered pistols are the next best option besides gas for people who want an alternative training gun to traditional firearms, such as .40cal and 9mm pistols, and those who prefer electronic weapons. If you're looking for something more powerful than just a spring powered airsoft BB gun then this is the option for you. Electric airsoft pistols are the cream of the crop of the high-powered airsoft models and might fit your needs if you're willing to pay more for them.
The Best Electric Airsoft Pistols
- ◙ Airsoft only. Optics, batteries, charger, and other accessories NOT INCLUDED by default unless stated clearly in bulletpoints or description. Do not assume they come included. Please check ALL bulletpoints AND the description before purchasing. Blaze Orange tips are preinstalled to meet 15 C.F.R. Part 272 requirements and may differ from the images. Airsoft guns cannot be sold into certain jurisdictions, including (but not limited to) CT, IN, DC, DE, NJ, NY, & PA. Assembly may be required. ◙
- F.PS: 190 - 210
- Model: Black
- Heavy weight, metal construction (Hefty, larger than 1:1 scale design)
- Electric p.ower requires no gas and no need to rack the s.lide
- Easy o.peration and great fun
- Detachable m.agazine
- On-f.rame s.afety
- Operates on a rechargeable micro battery (Battery & Charger included)
- Adjustable hopup
- On-f.rame r.ailed f.rame for light / l.aser attachments
- Electric Powered Airsoft pistol runs on 4 AAA batteries (not included)
- Shoots 6mm plastic airsoft BBs at up to 150 fps
- Mag capacity of 16 rounds
- Metal barrel
- Drop-free mag design
- 6mm BB airsoft gun with realistic blowback action
- Semi-auto and full-auto shooting modes
- Shoots 6mm plastic airsoft BBs at up to 180 fps
- Powered by 4 AAA batteries (NOT included)
- Features a drop-out 16-shot airsoft magazine
Last update on May 29, 2023 // Source: Amazon API
About Spring Powered Airsoft Pistols
If you are looking for the cheapest airsoft pistols, we would recommend finding spring powered airsoft pistols. These guns are reliable and easy to use. While you do have to manually chamber and cock each shot, the spring action of the gun fires BBs out of the barrel very fast and is easy to shoot from either your left or right hand. They come in a variety of models with different configurations that allow you to switch out parts as needed between similar makes and models. Spring powered airsoft pistols are also good because they usually have less noise when firing which can be beneficial if you need to do so in a quiet environment like in your house or in an indoor field. Let’s take a look at our top 3 picks for the best spring-powered airsoft pistols.
The Best Spring Airsoft Pistols
- POWERFUL SPRING LOADED - Airsoft Pistol Shooting Powerfully at 280 Fps with .12g BBs
- REALISTIC REPLICA - Airsoft gun replicas made with Metal Alloy Shell and detailed finish. Durable ABS plastic construction. Great starter guns for beginners
- READY TO PLAY - Airsoft Gun Shoots 6mm pellets ammo you can start the game Right the way for perfect game play with beginners
- FAST LOADING - Airsoft guns using Clip Magazine for fast and simple reload for quick turn around
- AIMMING SIGHTS - Precision Front and Rear Sights Provide Faster Target Acquisition
- POWERFUL SPRING: 170-220 FPS with 6mm ammo
- READY TO PLAY: Shoots 6mm ammo in a single shot. Includes 100 starter BBs
- REPLICA: made with high strength ABS polymer for a realistic feel. Weighs 1.1lbs
- EASY TO LOAD: Detachable magazine holds 190 rounds
Last update on May 29, 2023 // Source: Amazon API
Top Airsoft Pistols to Buy
No matter what airsoft pistol you decide to buy, make sure it is a versatile gun. We recommend selecting a high FPS rating with large magazine capacity to shoot a lot of rounds in rapid succession. Full-auto firing modes are available as well along with mid cap and high cap magazines. Getting the right pistol will allow you to take on rifle wielding opponents. For example, an ASG AK47 AEG rifle is full-auto, shoots 7.4 to 8.3 joules of kinetic energy, and has a muzzle velocity exceeding 400 FPS. A good airsoft pistol in a skilled player's hands can out shoot this AK47 any day using cover and terrain to gain the upper hand at close ranges.
Handing Airsoft Pistols for Real World Training
You should also choose a well-designed airsoft pistol with a solid construction that makes it durable enough for everyday training use with little to no maintenance required before or after using the gun. Choose an airsoft pistol which can be easily gripped and maneuvered around your body for quick tactical shots. You’ll find that you can use the airsoft gun to practice in the place of an actual firearm for “dry practice” if you want to increase the accuracy of your shooting. This can help you when you transition back to shooting your real weapon at targets as far as 25 yards away. Practice makes perfect when it comes to handgun training and airsoft guns can help you practice a lot very cheaply! Many airsoft clones or real gun replicas also have rail systems so you can add upgrades such as scopes and flashlights to mimic your real weapon.
Don't Forget a Holster to Carry Your Pistol
One important thing to remember when buying an airsoft pistol is whether or not you’ll be carrying it as a primary or secondary weapon. Most airsoft pistols are light and can be carried without a holster, but if you also carry a primary AEG weapon, make sure to add a holster into your airsoft kit loadout or on your tactical vest. If you’re going to carry your airsoft pistol in the field, make sure you have a holster that fits it properly so that you can carry it easily, securely, and discreetly. The best holsters will use velcro straps, a protective hood, or a single button (like a BlackHawk Serpa style) to secure the gun on your hip while giving you easy access and quickly draw the weapon.
Looking for another type of airsoft gun?
See our top rated airsoft gun reviews!